Quincy MA views!
I must apologize for not updating lately. The marina we started at had no wifi. What’s with that? So after 2 days of cleaning and more cleaning (and still not done) the boat feels like home. We had jelly fish swimming all around. Aiden was feeding the Canadian Geese goslings too. On Monday it was 80 degrees in Quincy and Scott was in the engine compartment at about 100 degrees so it was a fast and furious 5-6 hours of changing this and that. Then it was getting to know those Captain’s things that he should know. Some of it was learned on the fly, but you know Scott, it was done in split second timing. Darn, I wish I was that quick.
We left Quincy at about 11:00 in the morning on Wednesday the 25th (2 hours later than expected). Then we headed out to Stellwagon to see some whales. After driving for about 1 1/2 hours we managed to see one little fella. Aiden woke up from his siesta about 10 minutes prior. He was beautiful, just a little guy. Then we cruised through Cape Cod Bay. Boring, nothing but water. Yawn…. Then we came upon Cape Cod Canal and spent some time enjoying the calm water (no more 4 foot waves) and 10 mph posted speed limits. So now we reach our first destination. Onset, I think it’s in Rhode Island.
I’ll post some pics of our sites but you’ll just have to wait until I upload those. Tomorrow we start heading south toward NYC. So exciting…..
Phase three down the Erie Canal. The Erie Canal rises 566 feet from the Hudson River to Lake Erie through 57 locks. From tide-water level at Troy, the Erie Canal rises through a series of locks in the Mohawk Valley to an elevation of 420 feet above sea-level at the summit level at Rome. Continuing westward, it descends to an elevation of 363 feet above sea-level at the junction with the Oswego Canal, and finally rises to an elevation of 565.6 feet above sea-level at the Niagara River. These are the final 5 days of our journey!!
With only a few days to go before we head out, we have had quite the week. Our 11 year old Lab/Shepard passed away, the marina called to let us know they want us out a week earlier, business is busy and the canal is still closed with possibility of it not opening until mid June. Now, we just have to figure out all the logistics of the trip.
So I booked a one way car instead of a plane leaving 6 days earlier and said goodbye to our flight reservations on the original date. The marina is okay with us arriving early to get the boat in the water which has a scheduled date and time. Driving to Quincy a day early is okay however not looking forward to the 8 hour drive. The last minute preparations are in flux and dynamic due to the schedule change but we’ll roll with it. Our beloved dog, Raley, and grieving him is still present but everyone is doing okay. Time and memories will heal the hurt.
If the canal doesn’t open in time we’ll have to find a slip for the boat to stay in, come home, and go back to finish our journey. Waves on the ocean are around 5 feet so hopefully we will have some non rainy, calmer days to make the 3 day trek down the coast from Quincy to New York City. So looking forward to the day we get inland and pass the Statue of Liberty. Watch for pics!!
I think we have a name. Naming this boat was more difficult than naming our children. Why is that you ask? When you take a bit of psychology from me, engineering from him, hobbies from us, and of course the kid’s ideas it takes awhile. We’ve come up with a compromise, if that is at all possible. So here it is……..
I can hear it now…..”My head hit the keyboard”, “What the heck does that mean?”……